Monday, January 28, 2013

Easy Peasy Fudge

I've never had a lot of success with fudge. It always crystallizes or doesn't set. Also, I never have condensed milk in my cupboard so it's not the sort of thing I can try out again impromptu. Going out to buy a can of condense milk knowing I am likely to waste it makes me feel uneasy to say the least!  I've been thinking a lot about 'old fashioned' home made sweets lately thanks to an upcoming birthday and what is probably the tightest budget I've had to work with yet! When I discovered this recipe on pinterest this morning I knew I had to give it a go...and it worked!!



Here's the original recipe and also the recipe halved if you don't want a big batch. Perfect if you just want to try it out and not risk a whole 4 cups of icing sugar...

Recipe 1
500g Icing Sugar 
2/3 c cocoa
1/4tsp salt
1/4c milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c butter or marg

(Makes approx 36 pieces)

Recipe 2
250g icing sugar (2c)
1/3 c cocoa
pinch salt
2 TBLSP milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c butter or marg 

(Makes approx 18 pieces)

Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a large bowl. Add salt.
Stir in milk and vanilla.
Place butter on top (don't melt it first)
Microwave 2 mins and then beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. You will have to work quickly.
Spread into slice tin and refrigerate 1 hour ( or 30mins if doing half batch.)

*You can add nuts or other extras like dried fruit at the final mixing stage.
*You can use mini muffin liners/tray instead of slice tin.
*If making half mix only spread out to half the length of your tray...easy one to forget!

In yummery: My daughter asked for this to be made for her party...enough said! This was an instant hit.
It doesn't use condensed milk so this is more frugal than regular fudge and is easily made gluten and lactose free.

Nothing bad to say about this recipe :)

May your nest be blessed,
Lisa



2 comments:

  1. I just finished breakfast, but when I saw this post, my stomach growled! I love love love fudge, but my cardiologist says "No no no" to it. Sigh. I'll just sit here a while and enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    I'd like to invite you to join the site Everyrecipe.co.nz where users search through recipes from all the major New Zealandic recipe sites and blogs.

    If you want to add your food blog to "Top Food Blogs" and have your recipes indexed on Everyrecipe.co.nz all you have to do is follow the instructions here: www.everyrecipe.co.nz/add-your-food-blog

    Our project is the second biggest in all the world, and it’s already live in 37 countries, the US, Mexico, UK, France and Australia amongst others. We deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily.

    Warm regards,
    Magdalena - Everyrecipe.co.nz

    ReplyDelete

Strangers are just friends we haven't met yet...thanks for dropping by to say hi!